Pregnancy & Postnatal Massage & Remedial Therapy
For most women who have children, the time when they are pregnant and the time after they have given birth is a very fulfilling and happy time. It is also, however, a time when significant demands are made of the body. While the body is amazing in the changes it goes through to facilitate the development of a new life, it also brings along with it some aches and pains, and muscle tightness due to changes in posture, hormones, etc.
Unfortunately this also coincides with a period of time where it often becomes quite hard to find someone qualified and willing to give a pregnant or early postnatal lady a massage.
Kelly is qualified to massage ladies during the stages of pregnancy (we tend to recommend waiting until the end of the first trimester, once the pregnancy is well established). She has also undertaken extra training specifically focussed on aiding physical recovery for the postnatal mother, including issues which can arise from a caesarean section delivery.
Benefits of Massage in Pregnancy & the Postnatal Period:
- Stress reduction, which can aid sleep and improve hormonal and gastrointestinal systems
- Reduction of aches and pains, e.g. backache, headaches, shoulder and neck pain.
- Reduction of joint pain from tightened muscles, e.g. pelvis, hips
- Relief from Sciatic pain
- Increase of blood circulation and lymphatic drainage
- Boost to the immune system
- Reduction of fatigue
- Reduction of swelling associated with water retention, e.g. in lower legs and hands (a factor in Carpal Tunnel Syndrome)
- During the postnatal period, massage therapy can help reverse some of the postural changes which occurred in pregnancy and may improve healing rates by encouraging blood and lymph flow to areas of injury.
- Provides precious ‘time out’ for the new mother / mother –to-be during a demanding phase of life.